Thursday, April 5, 2012

Balloon Release Letter

Hey All,

This is another balloon release letter from our April 7, 2011 release. We received the letter on March 27, 2 years to the day of when everything first happened. Please check it out below.

Dear Gentry Family;
Today is March 22, 2012.

My wife Michelle and I live in Wildwood MO. Our house is off the south side of highway 100 about 4 miles west of highway 109, in the middle of a beautiful valley that has been in my family since the Civil War, and we are only a few hundred feet from the spot where my grandpa and grandma's house stood until the highway department took it in 1971. I was born in their house in 1955, back when this area was called "Dutch Hollow".

My big brother, my little sister and I all grew up roaming the hills and creeks here, back when there weren't many people around. We trapped minnows from the creek for fish bait, we tied string to bacon rind and caught crawdads, we collected mushrooms, morels, blackberries- you name it- and we hunted all kinds of game from squirrels to deer. My uncle built an archery range for us in the valley, and we were seldom without our trusty slingshots stuck in our back pockets. To me, there is no better spot on earth and I feel incredibly lucky to live here.

Anyway, I was out walking around our woods this morning to check to the spring wildflowers, and by habit I wandered down along the creek to see if any turkeys were nesting yet. A few feet from my aunt Bebe's little white house, next to the stump of huge white oak tree where I had a tree house nearly 50 years ago, I came upon one of Jacob's balloon release cards.

Jake's card was found 200 feet southeast of our road sign and mailboxes, in front of a large white garage that used to house my grandpa's car repair shop. The garage was built to replace my grandpa's original gas station and car repair shop which was built in 1917 and stood approximately where our mail boxes are until it burned down in the 1960s. The shop where I learned to work on bikes, small engines, motorcycles, and cars. If you ever drive by you can see this building from highway 100.

I wanted to tell you that Jacob's card landed in a good place. We mow this yard every two weeks or so all summer, and we never noticed the card all last year but it was in plain sight on the top of the grass. It must have blown there recently. There were no balloons or string attached to the card, and I'm surprised that it was in such good shape.

I found the "Jakegentryrecovery" internet blog this afternoon, and I read what you wrote about Jake and looked at the pictures. The reason I described our home to you is because Jake enjoyed many of the same things that we enjoyed as kids growing up here, and I believe Jake would have liked it here too. Jake was a fine looking young man and he was taken from your family far too soon. I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,
Rob & Chele Rambaud





1 comment: