Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baby Boy


Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Jake passed away this morning at 9:35.

My heart aches as I write this, as it has with all of my other posts. There are no right words to say or something that can bring anyone immediate comfort. We have struggled this past week as has Jake.
We have been at a great hospital surrounded by outstanding staff, and have had an overflow of love and support from family and friends. Through prayer and thought as a family we have made decisions for Jacob this entire week. I cannot imagine anything else that could be quite this painful, yet I am sure it is possible.
I want to stress the fact that Jacob did have an aneurysm that did burst and has made him very ill, however; the drug Oxy Contin played a huge role in what happened. We are in no way trying to 'sugar coat' this tragedy. From my mother's own words, "if anything good were to come of this, I would hope that it would save another life."
My brother had an endearing smile and laugh. He loved things that were adventurous and gave him a chance to be wild...
I had mentioned earlier that is was so hard to see him be so still. That hasn't gotten any easier. Jacob has been trapped in a body that doesn't function, work or operate in anyway since March 28th. Selfishly, I don't want to let go, but realistically, I know this is no way for anyone to live.
Jacob's life lives on in others. Some people knew Jake as a child, and some only as a young adult. Some of us were lucky enough to know Jake from the beginning, when he was "Elmer" in my Mom's belly.
Jacob will be giving the gift of life to many people as we have decided on his behalf to donate his organs.
We will be having a Celebration of Life Ceremony Saturday April 10, 2010
Visitation will be from 1:00pm-3:00pm with a service immediately following at 3:00pm. Everything will be held at:
First United Methodist Church in St. Charles
801 1st Capitol Drive
St Charles, MO 63301-2791
(636) 947-0066


Donations can be made to the "Jacob Gentry Memorial Fund"
through Enterprise Bank and Trust
1001 First Capitol Dr. St. Charles MO 63301
As a family, we will decide on a charity to donate the funds to.


Jacob- I love you so much, I'll see you again.

Rachel

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry for you loss Rachel, My heart literally dropped into my stomach. I continue to pray for you guys. I know its not easy to lose someone you love, and like your mom said hopefully the good that comes from this is saving someones life.
    Take Care
    Amanda D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I'm so sorry. You're so wonderful, and I know that your faith will help you get through this. Love you, miss you, and hopefully I'll see you soon!

    Sara Masner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, Thank you for helping us see Jake through your loving eyes. I pray with you and your Mom that good will come out of this tragedy and other lives will be saved. You are a precious family; may God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Rachel, I'm so sorry to hear all of this my heart goes out to all of you. I haven't seen you or Jake for awhile now I hope that you would remember me. I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. My God bless you guys in your time of grief. My deepest sympathy Lucy Hardin-Couch

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lord tells us not to mourn the death of a loved one, but rather to celebrate. This seems hard because at this time it doesn't seem like there is much to celebrate. Jake, however, has been brought into new life with Christ and no longer is bound to this world. Rejoice that he is with the Father and is now looking down upon us and watching over us. Rachel, you were a good big sister and you always watched and cared for your brother. Now it is his turn to watch and care for you as you go through life. He is not gone for he is always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i learned of jakes death via a phone call at work from my daughter,lauren...two hours later,on my break, i had to break the news to my son,matthew, a good friend of jakes from school in st charles...
    there is one thing worse than feeling the pain of your child, being in pain (physically or emotionally), and that would be, the loss of a child, i cant even comprehend your mothers pain, nor yours Rachel... thank you for your candid narration and updates of Jake. thank u for ur awareness of the "bad" things in life! matt and i will see u on saturday...u r an amazing young woman...hold tight to ur family, especially ur mom, she needs u now more than ever...and i agree with Sam...its now Jakes turn to watch and care for you, and i know he will!! stay strong!...charleen (and matt mitchell)

    ReplyDelete