Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Gift of Life

The letter from Mid-America Transplant Services

April 14, 2010

Dear Virginia:

On behalf of Mid-America Transplant Services, I would like to offer my deepest condolences on the recent loss of your beloved son, Jacob Gentry. I would also like to offer my thanks for your courageous Gift of Life on behalf of Jacob. It is deeply moving when families are able to consider the needs of others, even as they are grieving the loss of a loved one. I would like to share with you the results of Jacob's Gift in the hope that it may bring you and your family a measure of comfort in the days to come.

The recipient of Jacob's liver is a 55-year-old gentlemen from Missouri. He was listed for his life-saving transplant in February of 2010 due to cholangiocarcinoma. He is married with two daughters and is self employed. I am happy to report he is doing well in his recovery. The gift of Jacob's right kidney was received by a 53-year-old gentlemen from Missouri. He was listed for his transplant in April of 2008 due to polycystic kidney disease. He is a farmer, enjoys church, time with his family, and playing the banjo. He is also doing well in his recovery. The recipient of Jacob's left kidney is a 24-year-old woman from Illinois. She was listed for a transplant in December of 2007. She is recovering nicely at this time.

The benefits of Jacob's donation of skin tissue and bone may touch over fifty individuals. Those needing skin grafts, orthopedic and neurosurgeries will have improved lives due to this gift. Two individuals in need of life saving open-heart surgery will receive the gift of Jacob's heart valves. Two individuals from the St. Louis area have received the Gift of Sight due to the transplantation of Jacob's corneas.

Jacob's Gift of Life has touched not only his recipients, but also their many family and friends. Once again, I offer my condolences on your loss and if I may help in any way, please contact me. I continue to hold you in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Sue



JACOB'S PRAYER CARD

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
of quiet birds in a circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there; I did not die.

3 comments:

  1. His work on earth is done, but his soul continues on through others. Jacob Watson Gentry helped a lot of people by giving them life. He would have been proud! Well done, Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they sent you that letter. How wonderful to know the types of people that were able to live life a little longer, and to know that all is going well for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this. jacob, you touched so many people i miss you soo much x0x0x0

    ReplyDelete