Thursday, April 1, 2010

The early morning April 1st





Jake had an okay night. I was the last one to fall asleep and was awake with him for a couple of hours.I had such an uneasy feeling that I just laid down staring at Jake. After falling asleep for a few hours I suddenly woke up and a male nurse introduced himself as Dave, and said he was taking over for a few hours while many of the other nurses were taking care of the man next door who he said "crashed." I cannot describe what an horrible feeling that is. I laid awake...he then asked for my mom and she suddenly woke up and talked to the nurse. He let her know that Jake's temperature had spiked during the night to 103, but this time they had given him Tylenol and it broke the fever. I fell asleep and woke again we could hear the "code blue" announced for the room next door, I laid still and could hear the sounds of people running. It is such a scary thing.

I woke up again before 7 this morning listening to Dave (the nurse) speak with my sister Erin. He was just talking about Jake, and said sometimes we make bad decisions, we all do but you really have to keep your hope. He said, he has a son who is 15 and looks a lot like Jake. He said he will be going home this morning and really talking to his son. He said, that Jake will really be in our prayers and it is difficult to see happen. He continued, I just want to encourage you to keep hoping for Jake. He said I have worked in the ICU for a long time and have worked with Dr. Wetherington (Jake's neurosurgeon) and he's a 'slick doc' Jake really is in great hands.
He gave an example of a young man who had an aneurysm burst similar to Jake's and they did surgery and while he was in the hospital the young man had a second burst on the other side of his brain. He was in a coma and very very sick for months, but he pulled through and he is functioning. He said, the young man was frustrated he had a really hard time but he made it.
I have to admit hearing stories like these are nothing but encouraging. I know everyone is different. Our bodies are all different, but Jake's resilience is one in a million.
As we have been sharing stories, Jake has always been the kid that would try anything and excel at whatever he wanted to do. This is how he operated.

BOY (as Andy would say) you're tough!

Rachel

2 comments:

  1. What a great nurse Dave is. To show interest and give you stories of hope.

    I loved this post Rachel, it made me smile and then made me sad for the person next to Jake.

    I continue to pray for him each and every day! Please keep us posted as often as you can...even when there are no changes. The longer the time passes without an update, I worry more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too rachel, when theres no post i worry...i know u r tired, more like exhausted...thanks for what ur doing tho..charleen (mom of jakes grade school buddy matt!) we continue to pray for jake and all of his family!!!

    ReplyDelete